8.17.2012

A post about everything I want to blog about

Things I think about blogging about but haven't gotten around to:

1. Book recommendations. There are several books that I've read over this last year that I have absolutely loved and consider change-makers to my attitude, parenting, and just general perspective of life.

2. Vision Therapy. I truly believe that I have one of the best jobs in the world. Before applying for this job, I had never heard of vision therapy. Unfortunately, so few optometry doctors are involved in it to the extent my doctor is because of the extra time, commitment, money and employees. But, it's an incredible resource that has helped improve the life of many children and adults. Just recently I had an adult patient (who claims he doesn't want to be there, and that he's just there because his wife is making him), admit that he has noticed a change. Quite simply put he told me, "I can actually read my emails without getting a headache from staring at the screen." I didn't even realize doing that was so hard for him.

Anyway, there are a billion more stories I wish I could tell, both from books I've read to real-life experiences I am involved in. I'm not only learning optometric procedures, but I am integrating my education as I am teaching and encouraging these patients. Positive reinforcement is key. And my job is far more than doing eye exercises, its also enabling (mostly) kids to leave feeling better about themselves, and drop labels that have been placed on them like "lazy, dumb, learning-disabled, inattentive" and recognizing that they can do amazing things.
Just a random picture I pulled off the Internet. But, I love it, because it's a procedure I do several times a week.  Any guesses on what it is?

3. Just overall updates on my family. Where we live. Where we swim.

4. A post on my friends, and how grateful I am for the people I know. I consider it a complete privilege to know most of the people I know. Since finding a counselor to meet with periodically, I think I have a developed a greater empathy for people and deeper desire to hear their stories. My therapist has helped me "own my story" and of course, I am still writing it. But I rather like my story. I can't do much to change it but I like who I am, and my story has made me. Now I just gotta figure out where I am going from here.

So there you have it. Maybe I'll get around to blogging about it, someday. 

2 comments:

Suzy said...

So what do you do with the colorful string of balls?

Alison said...

Hey Diana!

I really like knowing you, and I hope you still feel the same about me. :) You really peaked my curiosity with the life-changing books you would like to recommend. Care to share any of the titles? Also, I'm so glad you have a job you love, what a blessing for your life! Thanks for sharing!

Sincerely,

Alison Marie (Tyler) Canar